Accessibility and client information
Welcome to FORT. We are a non-profit, queer, sober, trauma-informed and accessibility-centered tattoo, bodywork and art studio in Stoke Newington, London.
On this page is all of the information we thought was relevant to accessibility, but if we’ve missed anything or you want to ask any questions please email us at [email protected]. For specific accessibility requests or comments about your appointment, please contact the artist you are seeing.
We don’t publish our full address on our website for safety reasons, but are within a few hundred metres of Stoke Newington Overground station. Your artist will send you the address when they confirm your booking. The Overground station does not have step free access, though there are lots of bus stops nearby. (Bus numbers 106, 67, 76, 243, 149, 393 and 476 all stop within 300 metres of the studio).
The nearest drop curb near the studio is by the intersection of Belfast Road and the station/high street, and mobility scooter or wheelchair users are best off traveling down the left hand side of Belfast Road from this point. There is some uneven road surfacing and cobbles at the mouth of the alleyway that leads to the building, shown in the image to the left (click to enlarge).
Structure of the building
FORT is one level with no steps from the front door to the studio or any of the tattoo beds, however, the bathroom has not yet been adapted specifically for wheelchair access. It is possible to get a wheelchair within 2 feet (60cm) of the toilet so wheelchair users who are ambulatory for that distance are able to use the bathroom. Please see images and measurements below for specifics. We are currently in the process of applying for funding to convert the bathroom for full wheelchair access. If you would like us to get in touch with you when this is done so you know when our physical accessibility improves, please email [email protected].
Most of the treatment beds are flat massage beds, and all of them take at least 200kg of weight. Let us know if you need a bed which takes more weight than this. We do have a seated massage bed which is suitable for some massage treatments and tattooing people’s backs, and depending on placement, artists may be able to tattoo you whilst seated (in your own chair, or one of ours). Discuss with your artist if you have preferences or concerns around your positioning.
- The main studio has large skylight windows which mean it’s pretty bright in the summer with natural light. If you need low lighting, let your artist know and they can book you for a later appointment but it stays relatively bright until sunset.
- Due to the skylights and tall ceilings, the studio does tend to get a bit warm in summer and a bit cold in winter. We have heaters and fans and try to regulate the temperature as best we can, but discuss with your artist if you’re concerned, or want your session to take place in the private studio where it’s easier to control the temperature.
- There is usually background music playing but we aim to check in with artists and clients in the room to make sure it’s something everyone is comfortable with. Please feel free to communicate with your artist if the music is disturbing and they can change it. If all four beds are occupied, there is some background chatter. Most artists use quiet machines or handpoke, but sometimes we may have guests who use louder machines. Feel free to bring earplugs or ear defenders if this might be an issue for you.
- There may occasionally be an oil diffuser on, but artists will check with anyone in the room before using it. We don’t have incense or candles as our landlord doesn’t allow this. If you prefer your artist to use tattooing/cleaning products with less intense fragrances please discuss this with them directly as we do have options for unscented products.
- Touch / Pain
- You are welcome to bring stim toys, a blanket, ear plugs, anything that might help you feel calm and comfortable. If you want to use numbing cream contact your artist directly to discuss.
- Clients do occasionally bring dogs/pets to the studio. It doesn’t happen every day but there is a chance they might be around, so if you’re allergic to dogs/pets or cannot be in a room with them for any reason, please contact your artist to discuss and they can book you on a quieter day or use the private studio.
The private studio
We have one private studio that any artist can tattoo from, subject to availability. It’s suitable for people who prefer smaller spaces, want a more private setting and/or prefer a sensory environment that can be more easily controlled. Please enquire with your artist and they can find a time when this room is available.
You’re welcome to bring a pet or support animal with you to your appointment. They are allowed in the waiting area but can’t come into the sanitary tattoo area.
You’re welcome to bring an assistant, carer, translator, interpreter or friend to your appointment if you need to for accessibility reasons. We ask that you only bring someone if it is necessary for accessibility, because the studio can get quite full — but you don’t need to justify why you are bringing someone. Please let your artist know if you are bringing someone and if you have any questions or concerns about friends/group bookings please discuss directly with your artist.
Measurements of doorways and steps
Click on any of the images below to enlarge it (opens in a new tab).
This page is only available in English.